[tlug] System management software?

Well, after about two days of Google'ing for answers, hopefully I can
draw on the collective knowledge of you folks...

We're looking at *shudder* WinXP for a class lab environment (can't
convince the higher-ups that Linux gives us what we want -- they
believe it's just for servers and geeks).  I'm trying to find some sort
of software that gives us the ability to lock those machines down so
that malicious activities get cleaned up after reboot.

I've searched on PXE boot, lab mangement software, windows, linux, etc.
  I get pages and pages of garbage that doesn't help.  I've also
"dreamed up" a scenario wherein I'd use GRUB to boot a small
environment to simply do disk-mirroring ("dd") from a Linux partition
(invisible to Windows) onto the "main" partition (of course, I'd have
to write some software to do this, likely, or seriously tweak a Linux
environment to do it).  Another possibility is to do PXE boot and serve
up an image from my Linux server to the client -- though I'd have to
figure out just how long that would take, etc., and how it would play
in a 20-seat lab with all of the machines firing at once (tried doing
Mac NetBoot using Linux server, but ran into trouble with the time it
took to download and with trying to fire numerous tftp sessions).

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Larry Stanbery, RHCE
GPG Key ID: 2CEFA662