Re: [tlug] Mail Server

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 02:32:52PM +0900, James Cluff wrote:

> I searched the archives to see if anyone was using Qmail or Exim or
> but found nothing - which I thought was strange.

That is strange since MTAs usually cause the same amount of traffic as
such topics as text editors and distros. Will have to check if the
search is working.

> Exim is obviously GPL per their site, Qmail license is well rather confusing
> and per my search on google no comment I have read yet clarifies it in the
> least.

The license is probably the biggest thing people dislike about Qmail,
though I found its file structure quite confusing as well. Exim on the
other hand seems much more open and simple.

> All three seem to be quite popular and well supported.

I wouldn't include sendmail in this list. It is a dinosaur that is best
left alone unless you are a true fan of its configuration files. Try
Postfix instead.

> Does anyone have any advise or preferences relative to mail servers?

My recommendation would be Exim, but do take a look at the others if you
can. Maybe they will suite your needs better.

--
A. Sajjad Zaidi
Sr.System Administrator