RE: [tlug] network file system recommendations

I recommend not running any of those services you mentioned on your
firewall, as they will make it more vulnerable.  INstead you can use scp or
sftp commands to download files through a secure connection (it uses the
secure shell protocol).  You may also want to look at rsync, which also uses
ssh to communicate.

Patrick