Re: [tlug] perl hashes

    BR> My main concern is Larry's diversions eg

    BR> I came across this yesterday while reading about references p
    BR> 244 "...which we will call "thingy", in honour of that thingy
    BR> that hangs down in the back of your throat"

    BR> The classic p 12 "Unless you're using artificial intelligence
    BR> to model a solipsistic philosopher" try explaining that to my
    BR> English impaired colleagues

    BR> IMHO diversions like that have no place in a computer text.

But perl is a (di|per)version itself :) What about `goto &NAME':

$ perldoc -f goto

    [...]
    The "goto-&NAME" form is quite different from the other forms of
    "goto".  In fact, it isn't a goto in the normal sense at all, and
    doesn't have the stigma associated with other gotos.  Instead, it
    exits the current subroutine (losing any changes set by local())
    and immediately calls in its place the named subroutine using the
    current value of @example.com  This is used by "AUTOLOAD" subroutines that
    wish to load another subroutine and then pretend that the other
    subroutine had been called in the first place (except that any
    modifications to @example.com in the current subroutine are propagated to
    the other subroutine.)  After the "goto", not even "caller" will
    be able to tell that this routine was called first.

There must be more examples. Pity that Simon is not around anymore...

--
Viktor