Re: [tlug] Redhat

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 08:36:59AM +0900, Blomberg David wrote:

>I mean if they no longer fund FreeBSD (the US military stopped funding
>during Iraq invasion) and all other BSDs are being dropped

I didn't know they even were funding FreeBSD, so I suppose the
answer is that FreeBSD was there before it got any funding from
the army, and will continue to be there without said funding.
It will remain on course as the most popular of the *BSD
operating systems.

What makes you think the other BSDs are being dropped?  If,
however, NetBSD and OpenBSD were to drop off the face of the
Earth next week, it would be a pretty smooth migration from
those to FreeBSD.

As for BSD/OS, well, who cares?  Nobody uses it anyway.  The
only place I ever worked that used the OS formerly known as
BSDi finished migrating from that to FreeBSD and Linux two to
three years ago.  The BSDi versions we had did not match up well
against FreeBSD or Linux, and even an upgrade to the then-current
versions really had nothing to offer us over FreeBSD.  Indeed,
the fact that it was proprietary put it at a distinct disadvantage
Vs. FreeBSD.

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9