Re: [tlug] Redhat

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 11:48:29AM +1000, Jim Breen wrote:

>Interesting observation. Breen's Law(TM) says you shouldn't use a RH
>distro until the "y" of "x.y" is >= 2. I've been on 7.3 for 12 months,

I subscribe to that law, too.  RH 7.3 is very good.  I didn't like
8 so well, and Bluecurve is just awful.  Sure, you can remove
it and make Gnome or KDE act like themselves and look like
themselves, but it's enough work that the combination of the effort
to get rid of it and the fact that they created it in the first place
proved to be more than enough justification for me to jettison RH.
The new one-year-to-EOL policy on FTP versions of Red Hat only adds
weight to that decision.  If I hadn't already dumped RH, I would
do so now.  That policy is just unacceptable.

>I have a few gripes, one of which involves a kernel-induced freeze with
>the latest kernels on my Thinkpad

I just picked up a used Thinkpad 600X, am running Debian Unstable
on it.  No kernel-induced freezes here :-)

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9