Re: [tlug] Redhat

When I open the day's digest and see 47 messages with the Subject
"Redhat", I experience that sinking feeling. Yet-another-bashing-session
was my immediate reaction.

Charles Muller <acmuller@example.com> wrote:
>> I have only one thing to say about Red Hat: If it's good enough for JWB,
>> it's good enough for me.

Love it. Thanks Chuck. More on this below...

Jonathan Byrne <jq@example.com> wrote:

>>  Newbies and middle-core people use Red
>> Hat

Actually I think that sums me up; I'm a middle-core person. I like
straightforward trouble-free installations, and I like the ability to
tweak if I want to. I also like a modicum of on-going support, and will
pay for it.

>> (which I liked fairly well up through version 7.3; they lost me
>> with Red Hat 8), and then as they increase in ability move on to Debian,
>> a source based distro such as Gentoo, or some flavor of BSD.

Interesting observation. Breen's Law(TM) says you shouldn't use a RH
distro until the "y" of "x.y" is >= 2. I've been on 7.3 for 12 months,
and 7.2 for 6 months before that. It is pretty solid - my systems have
been up for 2 and 3 weeks respectively. I never intended to move to 8
until it reached 8.2, and when it quickly became 9 I felt justified.
The number of changes in 9 are a little worrying.

I have a few gripes, one of which involves a kernel-induced freeze with
the latest kernels on my Thinkpad (no problems with the Athlon in my
office.) I'm still working through it on the RHN mailing list, on which
a number of RH employees participate.

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen                                http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298