Re: [tlug] Redhat

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 11:44:33AM -0400, jmglov wrote:
> Quoth Bruce Howard <bhoward@example.com>:
>

> This surprises me greatly! The amount of pain and suffering through which Red Hat forces me when I try to do sysadmin- or
> coding-related work is nothing next to the cruelty of Mandrake.
>
> In my world, hardcore techs tend to use a Linux distro like Debian or Gentoo (or, in one strange case, ArchLinux ;), or forgo Linux altogether in favour of one of the BSDs. Why any technical person would want to use Mandrake for himself is bloody well beyond me.

One guru that I know likes Mandrake. And yes, he is really a guru--he's
used to it (at least was, of course, this may have changed see below)
and can install what he needs in a few minutes.

When I say it may have changed, I remember when I could put in RH in the
6 and 7.x series, and in about a half hour, have a new kernel (from
kernel.org) done, firewalls set and everything else, so my guru friend
might have found something similar--I no longer find that true for RH9
for example.  Back in the 6 and 7.x days, though RH was one of the
absolute easiest to get working with Japanese.

ArchLinux really should become more popular. It's sort a Deb on
steroids.  :)  (Well, ok, that's an exaggeration, but it's the only
thing I've come across that handles binaries as well as Deb).

And actually, though I have Arch on a box, it's more for play and to
keep my hand in at Linux.  My workstation and various servers I set up
are doing FreeBSD.

--

Scott

GPG KeyID EB3467D6
( 1B848 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6)

Xander: Yep, vampires are real. A lot of 'em live in Sunnydale.
Willow'll fill you in.
Willow: I know it's hard to accept at first.
Oz: Actually, it explains a lot.