Re: [tlug] Redhat

And Thus Spake "jmglov" <jmglov@example.com> (on Tue,  9 Sep 2003 11:44:33
-0400):

> This surprises me greatly! The amount of pain and suffering through which
> Red Hat forces me when I try to do sysadmin- or coding-related work is
> nothing next to the cruelty of Mandrake.

Jonathan, where are you? :o)

My own experience with Mandrake was extremely unpleasant and only served to
confirm the "bad feeling" I had about it in the first place.

> In my world, hardcore techs tend to use a Linux distro like Debian or
> Gentoo (or, in one strange case, ArchLinux ;), or forgo Linux altogether
> in favour of one of the BSDs.

Or, in yet another strange case, Slackware. Then again, Slack is reputed to
be one of the closest Linux distros to "Unix" anyway.

This is on http://www.slackware.com/info/ (so it must be true...):

« Since its first release in April of 1993, the Slackware Linux Project has
aimed at producing the most "UNIX-like" Linux distribution out there. »

Red Hat is still very widespread in Europe, and Monkeydrake is particularly
popular in France for obvious reasons. In fact, on some Linux mailing lists
in France, people automatically *assume* you're using Monkeydrake and tell
you to "click on Drakconf" etc. before anything else.

> Why any technical person would want to use
> Mandrake for himself is bloody well beyond me.

As a constant reminder of what not to do, maybe? :o)

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com -- gstewart@example.com
Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0)