>> Do those cooling units for notebooks
>> tend to be easily recognizable with
>> linux? I may need to get one, as my
>> fan has apparently stopped spinning.
>> Alternatively, are there any utilities
>> that can be used to try to get it
>> started (provided it isn't fried,
>> of course)...

Depends on the notebook model. My old Toshiba needed to have its fan
kickstarted because the automatic thermocouple thingy was driven
through Windblows. I downloaded a utility and (re)started the fan
every 10 minutes from a cron job.

My new Thinkpad does it properly.

Jim

--
Jim Breen                                http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298