Re: [tlug] Serial ATA

Hi Graham,

I was doing some research on that very issue in the last couple of days.
The Silicon Image 3112 chipset appears to be well supported by any
recent kernel and apparently has much better performance than other
solutions. It's very common on new motherboards but is harder to find in
card form. Most budget SATA cards should be based on that chip. The ICH5
one from Intel (core logic based) also works well. The promise one,
until recently, had a binary only driver but they open sourced it a few
weeks ago.

There are a couple of full on RAID cards, including some well supported
4, 8 and 12 port deals from 3ware, but they sound a little
overkill/overpriced for your needs.

If I were you I'd skip the Promise driver until it's merged into 2.6 and
back ported (if they bother) and go with the 3112. I haven't got a clue
about RAID 1, but I would rather do that under Linux RAID anyway.

Neil