Re: [tlug] PGP key (was "Out of Memory: can't log in to my machine")

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 04:48:15PM +0900, Larry Stanbery wrote:

>key page, but hadn't.  The correct key is 2CEFA662 (not 22), and

Got it, thanks!

>Gives you an idea of the folks I usually email that I hadn't yet had a
>complaint about the sig. =)

Doesn't it?  Use of gpg is surprisingly uncommon, even among programmers,
sysadmins and high-level amateurs, which is the mix you find on tlug.
<BLATANT PLUG FOR GPG USE>
Most tluggers don't have gpg keys, it seems.
</BLATANT PLUG>

Suggestion for a future meeting (wish I could attend this, and wish
I was back in Japan, but....):

Everybody who doesn't already have a gpg keypair should generate one.
The GPG manual is in HTML format, and has very clear instructions that
assume no prior knowledge.  After that is done, have a key-signing
party at a meeting.

Someone (maybe it was here?) recently talked about using keyslips
to greatly speed up the process.  A keyslip is a plain piece of paper
with your key-id and key fingerprint (at least; name and email address
could be useful, too).  You bring a bunch of them to the key-signing
party along with a photo ID (Gaikokujin card or passport are good
choices) and when you give someone your keyslip, you also present your
photo ID to prove that you're you.  The recipients of keyslips can then
go home and get all the keys and sign them.

If everyone who attends TLUG meetings had a gpg key and that key was
signed by everyone else who attends meetings, that would get everyone's
web of trust off to a really good start.

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9