Re: [tlug] advice to consider upgrading to RH9

On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 09:46:50AM -0700, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 12:29:05PM -0400, Josh Glover wrote:
>
> >The other reason that I stick with Gentoo is that I like Portage better
> >than Ports.
>
> That's interesting.  I haven't yet dabbled in Gentoo, but like
> Ports a lot.  What things in Portage make it better than Ports?

One quick comment here--though INTUITIVE=what_you_are_used_to_using, I
have found FreeBSD ports to be a bit better than NetBSD's, and found
that I can imitate almost all of Gentoo's portage things (that I use)
with it.  FreeBSD's ports seem a bit more flexible.  (I could easily be
wrong on this though).  Just as an example, make extract in NetBSD
doesn't seem to stop with simply unpacking the port, while it does in
FreeBSD.

Not being a programmer however, I could easily be misinterpreting what I
see when I do a make extract.

Also, and I am NOT Gentoo bashing--I found during a recent install that
a lot of things that were broken have been fixed--that FreeBSD's ports
tend to have fewer problems than Gentoo's.  That is, even in CURRENT
almost all ports install without me having to google to find out what
went wrong.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

 Cordelia: If the world doesn't end, I'm gonna need a note.