Re: [tlug] Questions about Japanese input

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 08:32:03PM +0900, Shawn wrote:

>let me know if evolution works for you.  I can't read my japanese mail
>through it.

Digging through an old backup CD from a couple years ago prior
to destroying it (I think I better keep it around) I found
some little scripts I used to run on RH 7.x for doing
Japanese with English menus.  One was for Evolution (don't
recall what version it was anymore, sorry):

#!/bin/sh
killev
oaf-slay
kinput2x -atok
LANG=en_US LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.ujis LC_MESSAGES=en_US XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2" evolution &

I don't remember all the exact details of why I was doing it this way,
but if I didn't do both killev and oaf-slay, things didn't work
right.  I was using kinput2 with the ATOK for Linux that came bundled
with the boxed set of RH 7.3 in Japan, hence the kinput2x-atok line.
Replace that one with whatever kinput2 is right on your system.

Anyway, give this a shot if you're still having problems with
Evolution and Japanese.  I'm pretty sure it worked, and there
must have been some reason I kept a backup of it :-)

HTH,

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9