Re: [tlug] Japanese on Slackware

> Also I can switch between english and japanese keyboard layouts but can
> type only katakana. But I cant use the keyboard as I use in Windows.
> I am using a japanese key board layout and in windows I usually switch
> using Alt + Kanji Key . So I can just input hiragana or kanji by typing
> in romaji and pressing shift key.
>

> Any help will be greately appreciated.
>
> KS

I think you need Slackware CD number two, containing some extras, to get proper support for Japanese input on Slackware. This will enable you to get the system to accept Japanese input in most applications, not only kterm, as well as use the Canna or FreeWnn backend servers to kinput2 to convert the katakana into kanji. So make sure you have support for "locale" (international input and related things), and then edit the configuration file for kinput2 to match the keys you use in Windows.

There is sort of a steep learning curve here, so I won't attempt to explain it all in one mail. You might also benefit from converting to Red Hat 9 altogether, but in that case, remember to back up your /home dir before you reinstall!

-David
--
http://home.no.net/david/