Re: [tlug] Questions about Japanese input

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 07:51:50PM +0900, Doug Lerner wrote:
> On 8/9/03 7:43 PM, "Scott Robbins" <scottro@example.com> wrote:
>

> Still waaaay confused. On that page, it says:
>
> -----
> To be able to use other applications besides vi and pico, such as Sylpheed,
> an excellent GUI email client, do the following. In an xterm or kterm type
>
> kinput2 -canna &
>
> (If you've already got kinput2 running as mentioned above, you can skip that
> line)
>
> export LC_ALL=ja_JP
> export LANG=ja_JP.eucJP
> export XMODIFIERS='@example.com=kinput2'
> -------
>
> Well, kinput2 is running and in kterm I can enter Japanese. But even after
> entering the three "export" lines above, I still can't use Japanese input in
> Mozilla, for example. SHIFT-SPACE doesn't do anything in that app. I even
> started it from the input line.

Hrrm, do you mean mozilla's mailer?

> Are you saying that *in addition* to those three export lines I *also* need
> to call the app using the script above?

No, that would be superfluous--but mozilla would have to be called from
~that~ terminal as opposed to another one.

> And what about apps that are called from the Gnome or KDE UI, by clicking on
> an icon.

That's another issue.  As I don't use either of those (I use fluxbox, a
much lighter weight window manager, where all apps are more or less
called either from the command line or keybindings)  I can't give you a
good answer on that one.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: You're considered somewhat cool.
Oz: I am?
Xander: Is it because you always tend to express yourself in
short, non-commital sentences?
Oz: Could be.