Re: [tlug] Questions about Japanese input

> But (and maybe this is a stupid question) I expect most of my Japanese
> input
> to be in things like text editors, word processors, email and browsers -
> not
> in a terminal window. Does all this stuff about terminal windows really
> matter?

good point.  the how to I linked to suggests using kterm or whatever, but
really if you get a script up and working, you can just use any command
line to start those things.  The how to wasn't so clear on that but ...
it's how I got a script that works.

So then anyprogram you want to start can be used to enter Japanese by #
your_scripts_name name_of_program

the how to spells out more about getting english menus or Japanese ones if
you want etc...

you still have to do the space+shift trick to get it working though.  And
actually, mine (on RH8) doesn't seem to work either.  I have to
space+shift, enter in some hiragana, hit space to select the kanji for it
in a seperate box, hit return, --nothing gets entered though and I am
looking at a blank space--, try it again a few times and then it works.  I
can't at all say why (not likely the script I think) but it's nice that my
wife needs me for something...

--
Shawn

Happily using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/m2/