Re: [tlug] advice to consider upgrading to RH9

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 22:49:46 -0700
Jonathan Byrne <jq@example.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 09:39:20AM +0530, Sanjay Chigurupati wrote:
>
> <TROLL>
> >Yahoo messenger for RH 9 is not available yet. You might want to use
> >the web version.
>
> YM is available for Debian Sid, just use that instead or RH :-)
>
> </TROLL>
Trolling on:
I just tried RH8.0 the other day. I'd say it was a very similar experience
to winblows XP. Why similar? Because in both cases the user has to be
inevitably stupid. I looked at the shiny gui admin tools and just couldn't
find a tool to remove packages one-by-one. The package manager could only
add/remove things by categories. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but as
far as I remember RH used to have a gui tool to manage packages directly.
Well, of course I went straight to the command line (to weed out the 900Mb
base install...), but rpm would hang without a reason and not even
responding to CTRL-C.
What a load of crap.

BTW, what's the _usable_ equivalent of apt-get for redhat? (apt-rpm,
up2date maybe?)
It does have such a thing right?

--
B0Ti.