Re: [tlug] BBC Radio embedded RealPlayer?

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 04:25:45PM +0900, Dan Lindfield wrote:

> >>(For now, I just find the embed
> >>src="http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/rpms/reelblend.rpm"; line in
> >>the HTML source... and start a stand-alone RealPlayer... but
> >>that is a bit of a hassle.)
> >>

> >There is also a link on the popup that will open the stream in realplayer.
> >For a lot of rpms, the content is auto generated (I wrote the script that
> >does it :) and by just replacing .rpm with .ram make the stream open in a
> >realplayer window, that usually fixes a lot of things.
> >

> Is this something a leiman can also do? Has anyone ever writen step by
> step instructions on what to do? Or is this best left to experts?

wget "http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/rpms/reelblend.rpm";
wget "http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/rpms/reelblend.ram";

They both contain the same. Some files might have referer protection, but
it is easy to defeat. If you really want to make it easy you could get
something like squid or junkbuster to rewrite all (.*)\.rpm from *.bbc.co.uk
to $1.ram then your browser would not use the plugin at all. Actually
thinking about it, it is probably easier to register a handler for rpms
and remove the plugin, it just depends if you want to keep the plugin
installed.

Tim.