Re: [tlug] sasl

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 07:57:14PM +0900, Tony Laszlo wrote:

> when sending mail as macuser@example.com from a machine
> mymac, a person needs to supply the password used set by
> the ISP.
>
> when sending mail as linuxuser@example.com
> from a machine called mylinuxbox, a person needs to supply a password
> that is only relevant to the linux box, i.e., the one used when setting
> up sasl.

It looks like you are using the ISP's SMTP server from the Mac and
the SMTP daemon running on localhost from the Linux box.

> a person with a linux box anywhere could pretend to be linuxuser on
> mylinuxbox and send mail to the ISP's smtp server, couldn't he?

*Any* machine with its own MTA could pretend to be linuxuser on
mylinuxbox. What you need to look at are the rest of the headers telling
you where the message came from.

--
A. Sajjad Zaidi
Senior System Administrator