[tlug] Barfing (was katakana)

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 08:04:34AM -0700, Blomberg David wrote:

>Not Japan bashing but drinking is part of business and I have a long
>train ride every day and I see people barfing on the train and even saw
>a guy pass out too.  Some people just handle their bussiness meetings :)

OK, let's swerve off topic and into the grotesque world of commuter
sidewalk pizza :-)

Once, back in 1994 or 1995, a train very late at night pulled into
Kotake-Mukaihara station, on the Yurakucho-sen.  For this train, it
was the end of the line.  As they checked the train, they found a guy
passed out on the seat.  It took several minutes to bring him to, and
four station employees to walk him around and keep him on is feet.

As a newcomer to Japan at that time, I thought they should call the guy
an ambulance, since he looked like he could be in danger of acute
alcohol poisoning.  Did they?  Nope.  They put him on the next train
going in toward Ikebukuro and passed the buck to someone else.  I
hope the guy made it home without injury.

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9