Re: [tlug] Using Linux for the desktop

Michael Doughty wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 02:04:06PM -0600, Matt Gushee wrote:
> > In any case, Office 2000 is multi-lingual, and I find my US version of
> > Word 2000 works pretty well for Japanese documents--supports vertical
> > text and so on. So for gaijin wanting to work with Japanese documents,
> > an English version might be the best solution.
>
> Really?  Does it support ruby text as well?  I was under the impression
> that the English version lacked both of these features.

From a sci.lang.japan posting:

From: "Jed Rothwell" <jedrothwell@example.com>
Newsgroups: sci.lang.japan
Subject: Adding furigana with Microsoft Word
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 16:51:14 GMT

Brian Wideman quotes Toby Howard:

> > I wonder if anyone knows a way to have Word automatically add
> > furigana to kanji, when IME has guessed the kanji, without having to
> > select the text and do Format -> Asian Layout -> Phonetic Guide.
> > This is a great feature, but can get a little tiresome when
> > inputting a lot of kanji.
>
> Just for laughs I tried selecting an entire paragraph of text and then
> selecting Format -> Asian Layout -> Phonetic Guide. To my enormous
> surprise, it worked!

Say, that's pretty good. I didn't know it could do that. Here are some
notes on how to implement this with Word 2000.

Microsoft's online documentation seems to indicate you need the Office
2000 Language Pack to implement this feature. That is not the case. I
followed the last four steps in the on-line guide, and the feature now
works even though I do not have Office 2000. Quoting Microsoft's
document:

"To enable the phonetic guide if you haven't enabled an Asian language,
follow these steps:

1. On the Tools menu, click Customize.
2. Click the Commands tab.
3. In the Categories list, click Format. In the Commands list, click
   Phonetic Guide.
4. Drag the command to a menu. When you see a black bar indicating
   the location for the command, release the mouse button."

- Jed

--
Tobias						PGP: http://9ac7e0bc.2ya.com
This mail is made of 100% recycled bits