RE: [tlug] OT: What does a sysadmin do?

>>I was wondering however if anyone knew of a list (humorous *or* serious)
>>describing the various tasks (menial and otherwise) that your average
>>sysadmin does?

A jack of all trades and master of none.....

A Sys Admin:

handles system security (for his systems and invariably that for systems not under his/her control but behind his firewall)

designs computer Networks (sees his/her designs shot to hell and told make it work on half the budget)

backs up computer systems (and has to restore files <for the third time this week as users delete required files>)

has to continually educate himself/herself as to the latest security problems, computer advances and all things computer related (but then told he spend too much time on the internet)

Fix computer systems for work, for friends and even total strangers ^_^

respond to calls from users that have done something stupid (i.e. windows users who turned off antivirus because of the long check once a day was still running at the end of lunch and now a week later their computer has a ton of viruses downloaded from naughtythings.com)

A Sys Admin is responsible for the entire computer network (no matter who caused the problem it is the Sys Admins fault) <of course when it comes time for accolades the management will step in to take credit (afterall they cut cost by replacing Cisco with buffalo or PCI and then the SyS Admin spent three times as long to get the system working <hes salary> so the company saved money)>

A Sys Admin is a person wth a high tolerance for pain.

****Note*** Not all "Sys Admins" follow the above guidelines some are lazy and let the real sys admins do the work for them these can generally be sppotted by the term "outsource it" commonly coming from their lips