RE: [tlug] apache2 setup and japanese charset

> > Are there others to add?  Does order matter?
>
> "Something" needs to tell the browser what character set to use. The
web
> server specifies the character set in the header it sends to the
browser.
> Hence the "Default" in "AddDefaultCharset". Generally, an English page
> will render ok with a default character set of Japanese, although
occasionaly
> a character from outside the basic set will get mangled. A better
solution
> IMHO is to use a meta tag on each page specifying the character set.
E.g.
charset=Shift_JIS">
> Most browsers will then render the page in that charset regardless of
> what the web server sends out as a default.
>
> "AddCharset" maps filename extensions to character sets. The
documentation
> inside the httpd.conf file is actually pretty good about all this
stuff.

I had exactly same problem when we shifted our JSPs and some static
pages to linux/tomcat. Putting <meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
content="text/html; charset=Shift_JIS"> in all the pages worked for me,
I didn't have to change anything else.

Regards,
Amit.