[tlug] apache2 setup and japanese charset

Recently I moved my daughter's website from a paid shared server to a
virtual server over which I've full root control.  This new server is
running RH 8.0 and Apache 2.

On the old server, my daughter had mostly English pages interspersed
with Japanese here and there.  Anyone viewing from a normal browser with
encoding set to default (probably iso-8859-1 or us-ascii) was
automatically able to see the English AND the Japanese characters.

Now I've moved the site to the new server and while the English shows up
as you'd expect, the Japanese characters are various, ugly symbols.

If I change my browser encoding to shift-jis, then the Japanese
characters render fine.  But before, on the old server, I never had to
change the browser settings to see the Japanese.

My gut tells me that this is in the Apache2 httpd.conf settings.  And
while I've found references to CharSets for shift-jis and Euc-JP in
there, I'm not sure what to do with them and haven't figured it out from
the docs at Apache.org.

Hoping this is one of those obvious things that someone can give a quick
pointer to.

Many thanks,
Kevin

--