[tlug] What to do when a hard disk goes during the rainy season

 Time to try a new Distribution?

I had to replace a hard disk on a notebook that has been running
RH8 and decided that this was as good a time as any to try out
other distributions. The machine is a Compaq Presario 1216JP.
Athlon-4 CPU. ACPI and the very problematic Conexant LANfinity
Ethernet card are two hardware challenges.

I had recent Gentoo and Debian CDs thanks to Ulrich and Shimpei,
respectively. I also got set up to try network installations of
Mandrake and Debian.

For some reason, I couldn't get Gentoo to compile on the
machine. Tried all stages, and various things for about
two days. But the machine shut down in the middle of the
operation each time, for some reason. This was quite a
pity, as it is a time-consuming process and I was certainly
looking forward to getting it going. Still, it was good to
learn about CFLAGS, etc., so all was not in vain.

Woody installs with no problem. I tried to install it with
the 2.4 kernel, and apt-getting the 2.4 kernel after a 2.2
install, because I want to run that. However, Woody
with the 2.4 kernel kept hanging when it came to the Conexant.
Same for Mandrake and RH8. I could run any of these with nousb,
but I want to use that ethernet card, if possible. I spent
lots of time with the tulip code that is supposed to run with
it on 2.4, but couldn't get that going after more than a day.

* Back to RedHat

In the end, I went with RH8 again, for three basic reasons.
1) I am already familiar with RH, and haven't run Debian very
much.
2) Compared to Debian, RH gives me good out-of-the-box
support for multiple languages. Not sure if it is the way
RH has the fonts or locales set up, but something makes
it easier to run kterm, xterm and mlterm, and get yudit,
pine, gedit, etc. to display the characters properly.
(something is still wrong with my xterm; it doesn't
display utf-8 data properly, itself). RH also succeeded
in probing the sound card; I don't think Debian hit it.
3) other things seemed easier with RH (this may have
to do with point #1, of course). In particular, I have
a need to have multiple users run Mozilla on this
box (not just root). xhost + localhost makes that
possible on RH8, but not on Woody. With xsu on Woody,
one can run various programs on X as root, but it is
a bit of a hassle (though much safer, apparently) and
it only works for root, not for other users on the
box.

I also tried to move from Pine to Mutt, but I am not
dissatisfied enough with Pine, nor impressed enough
with Pine (in the multilingual setting) to make the
switch. After a few hours, I went back to the tried
and true in that department, as well.

* Debian and Gentoo vs. RH

I liked the feel of the install of both Debian and
Gentoo and will try those out on other machines
sometimes. While RH allows one to update software
via network updates, the Debian and Gentoo methods
for doing this are less intrusive, more flexible
and simply more pleasant, I think. So, I be looking
for excuses to try out those distributions, particularly
on machines that I won't be using every day.

If another hard disk bites the dust when I have a
few days to spare, I guess I will attempt to "migrate"
again.