[tlug] join /tmp and /var

Hi tlugers!

I want to put /var and /tmp in different partitios.
The disk is small and to create two partitions will waste space.
I was thinking about this solution:

Create a partition for var and tmp. Inside of it make two directories, var and
tmp.
In the root dir, change the var and tmp for symbolic links to the var and tmp
directories I created in the partion.

Will this solution decrease the performance of the system? I thought that the
difference in time to access the same file through the link is insignificant
or maybe not?

Thank you in advance.

-Pietro-