Re: [tlug] Tweaking the kernel

Jonathan,

This is getting very interesting. The cause of my frustration with the notebook's speed under MDK9.1 is that I have 256Mb of RAM backed by 512Kb of L2 cache. Both of which should ensure good performance (When I purchased the Notebook 4 years ago I primarily wanted to use it for running CAD software (Pro-Engineer) and CFD software both of which are memory thirsty, under Windows 98 speed was not an issue with this software). The speed issue is evident from boot as it takes 3 minutes to boot the system and 2 minutes to load KDE. Does this point to a non KDE problem?

Anyway, thanks for the web site "http://www.penguin.cz/~stano/en/mtrr.html" pointer, it is a very interesting read. It gives a very good example on how to use mtrr and might have given me further insite into the root of my problems:

cat /proc/mtrr on my system returned:

reg00: base=0xfb800000 (4024MB), size=   4MB: write-combining, count=1

There is only this one line and the above referenced web page suggests:
I must therefore note:

1. My /proc/mtrr does not reflect the 256Mb of RAM that my system has.

2. My /proc/mtrr points to my VGA compatible controller Trident Cyberblade and has 4Mb of memory allocated to it when in fact it should have 8Mb.

At this stage I'm not sure this is important or not and I need to investigate further.

To answer some of your additional questions: I have infact recompiled the Kernel to use the AMD-K6 2/3 CPU with the additional mtrr support. I have not included the 'AMD K6 Power Now Module' as this is supposed to manage a CPU slowdown to conserve battery power, I couldn't face working any slower!
I do work under KDE and unfortunately I'm also a fan of Mozilla (It is a dinosaur in more than just its name!). I've wanted to explore Icewin before, maybe now is the time to look into it.

Well, thanks again,

Dan