[tlug] ov511 under Gentoo?

Has anyone used an ov511-based webcam under Gentoo before?

I used to do this under other distros... I would load usb-ohci as a
kernel module, and subsequently ov511. I've always enabled V4L
information in the /proc directory, but I don't know if it's any use.

Anyway, loading usb-ohci and ov511 should make the camera light up and
start sending video to /dev/video0. But it doesn't do either. Both
usb-ohci and ov511 are listed as loaded, but unused. At least the camera
was turned on when I had usb-ohci compiled into the kernel.

Also, even after I used ./MAKEDEV, /dev/video0 can't be opened. I even
use devfs.

Anyone know how I could get it to work?

I hate Linux.

--