[tlug] 'xcdroast' under RH9

  Hello all,

  I've always been quite impressed with 'xcdroast', so I'm a little
taken aback by some of the things I've seen since my upgrade to RH9.

  There are three problems I've run into:

 1. 'xcdroast' can't seem to recognize that there is a CDROM in the
CD-reader, if that CDROM is mounted.  This didn't used to be the case,
I'm sure. Any workarounds, other than the obvious one of 'umount'ing
the CDROM _every single_ time?

 2. 'xcdroast' complains about not having 'exclusive' access to the
CDROM-reader and fails, unless that device is owner and group readable
(660).  This seems just a little odd, since the 'root' password is
required now to run 'xcdroast'.  But, 'chmod'ing, in my case, /dev/scd0
to 660 gets everything working.  Just for completeness, let me 'ls' that
right here:

brw-rw----    1 denismcm disk      11,   0 Jan 30 19:24 /dev/scd0

  The problem is that these permissions get changed back (!@???!) to
600 every single time the system is booted.  This is not the kind of
shenanigans I expect from a LiGnux system.  What is going on here?  And
how do I fix it?

 3. I've always found 'xcdroast' completely reliable: unless problems were
reported, any disc that had been burned without reported problems just
worked.  Today I discovered that the copy I had made of disk 2 of the
RH9 set was 'unreadable'.  The copy that that copy was made from was
just fine, and there were no reported problems during the copy
operation.  This kind of unpredictability really worries me.  I've
never seen this kind of nonsense before.  Anyone else have similar
experiences?

  Just this, Dennis

--
Dennis McMurchy,