Re: @example.com (was: [tlug] Hook up NTT @example.com)

This is under SuSE 8.1.  I could not find a way to make YaST2
configure it.  I had to do a lot more searching to find the
filenames that needed editing.

This isn't sufficient.  ping can run forever.  But as soon as
I try to do anything real (send e-mail more than one line at
a time, or use Konqueror) the modem hangs up.

Anyone know what to change next?

Here is an approximation of my file
/etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-ppp0

BOOTPROTO='none'
DIALCOMMAND='ATDT'
DIALPREFIX=''
INIT1='AT'
INIT2='AT&F'
INIT3='ATE0Q0V1\V3&E0&D2&C1S0=0'
INIT4='ATS7=58&K3'
INIT5='ATS0=0'
INIT6='AT'
INIT7='AT&F'
INIT8='ATE0Q0V1\V3&E0&D2&C1S0=0'
INIT9='ATS7=58&K3'
MODEM_DEVICE='/dev/ttyS2'
MRU=296
MTU=296
PPPD_OPTIONS=''
PROVIDER='see-note-1'
PROVIDER_NAME='see-note-2'
SPEED='115200'
STARTMODE='manual'
UNIQUE='see-note-3'

note 1:  This should be the filename under directory
/etc/sysconfig/network/providers

note 2:  This should match the "PROVIDER" entry in file
/etc/sysconfig/network/providers/see-note-1

note 3:  I am not sure if it would be a security risk to
reveal the value of this undocumented option.

Here is an approximation of my file
/etc/sysconfig/network/providers/provider0

ASKPASSWORD='see-note-6'
DEFAULTROUTE='see-note-6'
DEMAND='see-note-6'
DNS1='see-note-6'
DNS2='see-note-6'
DSLSUPPORTED='no'
IDLETIME='0'
IPADDR=''
ISDNSUPPORTED='no'
MODEMSUPPORTED='yes'
MODIFYDNS='see-note-6'
MODIFYIP='yes'
PASSWORD='see-note-7'
PHONE='0570see-note-five#3201'
PROVIDER='see-note-4'
REMOTE_IPADDR=''
STUPIDMODE='no'
USERNAME='see-note-7'

note 4:  This should match the PROVIDER_NAME entry in file
/etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-ppp0 or whatever number.

note 5:  This is the phone number of your provider, and you
probably want to append #6401 rather than #3201

note 6:  These depend on your provider.

note 7:  You know what to do.

In SuSE 8.1, I used the following command once after editing:
/etc/rc.d/smpppd restart

And then the following commands to dial up, verify, and hang up:
cinternet --start --debug --verbose
cinternet --log
cinternet --stop