Re: [tlug] im-ja v0.5

David Oftedal wrote:

> Cool, there's an ebuild. Any config file I need to update in
> order to get it to work, though? And how DO I make it
> update a config file, anyway. Gentoo's a bit
> counterintuitive at this point.

In Gentoo, you merge the old and new config files with the
etc-update utility.

When you install (emerge) the new version of a package, it
copies the config file to the proper location (as specified
in the ebuild or the package makefile). If there is
already a config file there, it copies the new file with a
prefix indicating that it is an update. The etc-update
program looks for files with the prefix and helps you merge
in any config file changes in the new file to the existing file,
if necessary.