[tlug] Re: Changing monitor in SuSE 8.2

I've just now bought an I-O Data LCD-AD171CS monitor, which I want to
substitute for this very sick Eizo before the Eizo explodes. But of
course I don't want to do anything that might screw up the new monitor
as well.

I learn the combinations of horizontal and vertical refresh rates for
various resolutions from
http://www.iodata.co.jp/prod/display/lcd/2002/lcd-ad171cs/index.htm and
I hope that's all I have to know, because some exploration of Sax2 or
sax or whatever the program is called also reveals an expert tab
inviting me to choose among

CheckDesktopGeometry
IteratePrecisely
UseFrameBufferTiming
XServerPool

and gods know what any of them mean.

I have a related irritation. Merely to look in this version of SaX2 that
doesn't require one to be in X Window, I had to reboot the computer.
This seems absurd: after all, common sense says, and the books about
Linux that I've skimread seem to imply, that (at least with superuser
authority) I can close down and reopen X Window at will. But the only
way I know of getting out of X Window is by rebooting and quickly
grabbing the option of "Linux -- Safe Settings". And when I've done
everything I want to do, I don't know how to start X Window, and instead
have to futz around trying to figure out how to reboot the computer
("shutdown -r now", I think it is) and let it boot into graphics mode.
What's the trick. (And yes, I realize that I'm a clueless newbie, but I
have tried to RTFM.)