RE: [tlug] changing monitor in SuSE 8.2

Open a terminal window. Type:

# su -

type admin password when asked for it

after you are root, type
# init 1

this puts you into single user text mode.  Wait until all services are
shutdown (ie. runlevel 1 reached message).  type
# init 3

this puts your machine into multiuser network mode (in case you need to
acces the web or e-mail).

Now change the monitor.

To setup XFree, you have to type
# sax2

this is the Suse X configurator.

No need to shut down the system!

> Sorry if I'm veering offtopic, but recommendations (and
> keepawayfroms)
> for unpretentious "17 inch" TFT monitors would be welcome too.

Go with EIZO / Nanao.  The Flexscan L461 (16")offers excellent quality and
brilliant visuals.  Price is not much more expensive than the lesser brands.
If you can afford more, go for the 19" Model.  Excellent reviews.

Before that, maybe check the monitor connector / graphics card.  That may be
the only problem, try fiddling around with them and see if it helps.

bye

Patrick