[tlug] Kernel setup for AMDK6-II CPU with VIA VT82C686 chipset

Hello,

I've been off list for a while but have been keeping one eye open on the
digest and now I've come across a problem and wonder if anyone can help.

After using Mandrake 9.0 for the past 5 months on my home PC and being
very pleased with the results I have installed Mandrake 9.1 on my Atlas
Flyer AMDK6-II 500Mhz notebook, everything works but it is very slow,
frustratingly slow! Taking 3 minutes to Boot and 2 minutes to load KDE.

I have done a little investigating on the kernel features that have been
setup by Mandrake 9.1 and noted the following:

Chipset: Mandrake detects AMD-K6 3D with 64kb secondary cache whereas my
chip is an AMD-K6 2 with 512kb of secondary cache.

Chipsets: CPU to PCI bridge VT8501; PCI to ISA bridge VT82C686 (Apollo);
IDE/ATA controller VT82C686(IDE) Apollo. All these bridges/controllers
are detected by Mandrake but module "unknown" is reported.

So at a first glance it would appear the Kernel is not particularly
optimized for my hardware, the 62kb L2 cache setting instead of 512kb
particularly worries me as I originally procured the higher secondary
cache chip for improved performance.

I've been scouring the web for any clues on which Kernel configuration
or patch might better suit my needs but so fare have come away empty
handed. I also need to add that the last time I tried to compile my own
kernel was a few years ago when I was testing Mandrake 7.0, my
confidence in this area is shaky!

If any one has some practical advice on this problem of mine I'd love to
hear from you.

Cheers,

Dan Lindfield