[tlug] Re: [tlug-admin] A nihongo propose

---------- Original Message -----------
From: Pietro Zuco <pietro@example.com>
To: tlug-admin@example.com, tlug@example.com
Sent: Fri, 30 May 2003 20:20:09 +0200
Subject: [tlug-admin] A nihongo propose

> Hi tlugers.
>
> I just have a propose.
> I was thinking (sometimes I think :P) about all the japanese people that
> are interested in Linux and Open Source and that can not understand
> english or maybe is hard to them. Maybe a lot of potencial tlugers
> are lost when they read the messages and found that can't
> understand. This is a japanese list, just the T in front of the lug
> denotes that.
>
> So I just would like to propose to the people that can speak in
> japanese, even it's very poor, and to the japanese people of course,
> to try if there is the time, to put a translation of the questions
> and answers just at the botton or in some place of the messages,
> just as courtesy for the japanese non english speakers that maybe
> want to consult our archives or just join the list. So they can find
> a point to start joing together the penguin OS. I mean the messages
> that will start from today and not all the archives, of course.
>
> What do you think about this?

Hi there,

Pietro, I think it is very nice of you to volunteer to help.
I , and provably many others, really appreciate your concern.
However, I personally believe that most of the "Technical" Japanese people,
especially those involved in Linux have a good understanding of written
English. So , in my humble opinion I think they don't have problem
understanding this informal mailing-list. I think, it would require a great
deal of time and band-with if we start translating the text.
Moreover, a few meetings ago I got really surprised when I proposed to have a
real-time interpreter during a meeting, and some of the Japanese attendees
opposed arguing that, TLUG's meetings where more interesting as it become an
opportunity for them to practice their English ...
As Jonathan said,I also think you and other volunteers could do some
translation (without compromising) on-request basis. if you agree, of course.

Thank you a lot, and hope you keep proposing improvements and offering your
great help as you have been doing until now...

Kind regards,

//mauro//

PS. As you might appreciate in this writing, WE ARE MANY WHO NEEDS TO
PRACTICE OUR ENGLISH :)