Re: [tlug] Cisco Routing Issue

Quoth Jonathan Q (Wed 2003-05-28 10:20:42AM +0700):

> On Wednesday 28 May 2003 08:28, Matt Doughty wrote:
>
> > 1. you are basically on the right track, but I don't know if that is the
> > best way to do it.
>
> I don't have Josh's original mail on this machine, so I'm working from
> recollection here (which may well be faulty), but what about:
>
> 1) Just run a static route on the Cisco, pointing to the Linux
>     box;

Right. In this case, though, I don't know the IOS syntax. That is what I was
asking about. I definitely want a static route, because in this case, running
RIP or OSPF on the Linux box, while feasible, would be overkill and a half.

> Even if you don't realize until after you save it that you've blown it,
> you can recover your old config by TFTP (assuming you've made
> TFTP backups, which I'm sure Josh has), so you're still covered.

Yeah, I am not worried about permanently breaking things, but I want to have
the downtime stay as short as possible.

> The bad part is if you do something to a remote router that breaks
> communication with the outside world and "remote" doesn't mean
> "in a different part of the same building" :-)  If you're lucky, you'll
> have a modem hooked up to the AUX port and can dial in and
> fix things.  Otherwise -- Road Trip! :-)

Maybe my boss would buy that. "Yeah, sorry but I just broke our router, so I
need to fly there to fix it... Yeah, we keep our router in Tokyo. Long
story."

Thanks for the idea, JB! ;)

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Associate Systems Administrator
INCOGEN, Inc.
http://www.incogen.com/

GPG keyID 0x62386967 (7479 1A7A 46E6 041D 67AE  2546 A867 DBB1 6238 6967)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 62386967