Re: [tlug] Cisco Routing Issue

On Wednesday 28 May 2003 08:28, Matt Doughty wrote:

> 1. you are basically on the right track, but I don't know if that is the
> best way to do it.

I don't have Josh's original mail on this machine, so I'm working from
recollection here (which may well be faulty), but what about:

1) Just run a static route on the Cisco, pointing to the Linux
    box;

- or -

2) Run a routing protocol between the Cisco and the Linux box?
    I don't particularly like RIP, but it would be more than sufficient
    to the task at hand.

> 2. nice things about routers is the changes don't stick until you save the
> config

Even if you don't realize until after you save it that you've blown it,
you can recover your old config by TFTP (assuming you've made
TFTP backups, which I'm sure Josh has), so you're still covered.

The bad part is if you do something to a remote router that breaks
communication with the outside world and "remote" doesn't mean
"in a different part of the same building" :-)  If you're lucky, you'll
have a modem hooked up to the AUX port and can dial in and
fix things.  Otherwise -- Road Trip! :-)

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Q
GPG key ID: ACC46EF9 (E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9)