[tlug] Japanese input in KDE applications

*sigh*

I had this all sorted out sooo well. Many moons ago I shamelessly copied
Scottro's little wrapper:

#!/bin/bash
XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2" LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8 LC_CTYPE=ja_JP ${1+"$@"} &

as 'jinputx' into /usr/bin, and had every application that needed
Japanese input fire up with 'jinputx <application>'.

Everything was working to the utmost perfection - until yesterday, when
I decided to change from a user-issued 'startx' to a default kdm (I'm
not the only user on that machine any longer, and my wife and kids
aren't ready for the command line yet). Now none of my applications are
even remotely interested in the wrapper script, and I have no idea how
to globally enable the old shift-space routine for switching to
kinput2... Katzbrown's Japanese on KDE instructions are for .xinitrc,
too, and don't look all that helpful, unless I've overlooked something
blatantly obvious, which - as those of you who know me will fully
understand - is entirely possible. :)

Cheers
Ulrich Plate