[tlug] NetBSD & Compaq

I am currently in the ugly position of trying to install NetBSD to a Compaq
server with a Compaq Smart 2DH RAID controller.  So far my web searching has
only turned up the NetBSD compatibility list which states that the 2DH is
indeed supported.  But, I can find no hints as to how to go about doing an
installation to such a beast.

The good parts:
The cac device is found successfully.
The ld0 is present, and appears to have no issues during installation.
Installation in fact, rolls through without a hitch.  I just can't seem
to figure out how to get the bootcode in the right place, and make it work
with the Compaq System partition.

Approaches I have tried:
 1) Blow everything away from Compaq and just use the whole disk for NetBSD.
    Failed miserably due to the fact that the Compaq system partition could
    not be found.

 2) Compaq system partition left intact, install NetBSD to the rest of the
    disk and use the standard bootcode.  Failed with the message:  "Error
    the operating system cannot be found."

 3) Compaq system partition left intact, install NetBSD to the rest of the
    disk and use the NetBSD Bootselector.  Boots up showing the Bootselector
    menu (ie "F1: partition 1 ..."), but then it fails to take any user input,
    and never loads the default partition.

Am I just wasting my time here, or is there a secret incantation that will
appease the Smart 2?? demons?

Michael