Re: [tlug] email programs

And Thus Spake Ulrich Plate <plate@example.com> (on Mon, 26 May 2003 09:59:10
+0200):

> Two things I can't do in Sylpheed: S/MIME (with the Aegypten patch),

Dunno about that. The only signatures I ever come across are PGP/MIME
signatures anyway so I'd have no use for anything else.

> and more importantly, it can process Japanese and European character
> sets at the same time.

That's a very good point.

However, since sylpheed now handles UTF8 perfectly happily, is there not
scope for it to be able to do as well as KMail in that respect? I guess it
could be something to do with limitations in input methods inherent to
GTK1.2. There are no immediate plans to port sylpheed to GTK2.

As for the footprint, I just picked this up from the sypheed mailing list:

Something I notice too - Sylpheed-Claws when running weighs in at about 8MB,
while KMail bloats to a morbidly obese 80MB (incl KDE rubbish), while
Evolution flabs out to over 130MB.

14 seconds to start up Kmail, on an Athlon XP1700 with uDMA disks and 1GB
DDR RAM - not acceptable!

[sylpheed-main leaves a footprint of under 7MB]

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com -- gstewart@example.com
Registered Linux user #284683