[tlug] pam(?) errors

I'm getting wierd login errors in my syslogs. The strange thing is that
both of these services work properly, I can login with both ftp and ssh.
My proftpd is getting passwords from a different file (not /etc/passwd)
specified in its config.

May 21 19:17:11 siliconium ssh(pam_unix)[21405]: authentication failure;
logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=NODEVssh ruser= rhost=mephisto  user=root
May 21 19:12:35 siliconium proftpd[21250]: Unable to open password file
/etc/passwd for reading: No such file or directory

I think my pam is screwed up somewhere. Google didn't throw me anything
useful. Anyone ?