Re: [tlug] hardware

Tapio Peltonen <tappel@example.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 19 May 2003, Jonathan Q wrote:
>> - Asus, MSI, and GigaByte motherboards are all excellent.
>> If you want to find out about performance, check tomshardware.com.
>> All should be reliable and compatible.  I like MSI and GigaByte a
>> lot.
>
> You have actually seen a MSI mobo that works? Some five of my friends
> have experiences about in total ten or so broken MSI mobos within one
> year. Last MSI I've seen (a week ago actually) was broken
> out-of-the-box, one memory slot broken and does a hard reboot when
> ifconfiging the net up with a tested-and-working network card on 2.4.20.
> 2.2 series works just fine.

Posting from one.  It was the first nforce board to come out IIRC.  It
came with broken drivers for Windows.  Explicitly did not support Linux
at the time (the chipset was too new, some of the on-board ports are not
usable under Linux).  The memory controller is whimsical (probably more
a fault of the chipset).  Although it advertised 6-ch sound with an
optional daughterboard nobody at MSI responded to customers asking where
they can buy it.

It was pretty bad for a while.  After a few BIOS and driver updates it
actually works great under Windows, though I didn't try installing Linux
on it.

I'd probably buy from them again, if the price is right, though I
would try not to buy the first boards using bleeding edge chipsets...
Seriously tempted to get a 875P though, but the boards and the CPUs are
still a tad expensive.

Stephen