Re: [tlug] Re: hardware

Jonathan Q <jq@example.com> wrote:
> On Monday 19 May 2003 19:12, Stephen Lee wrote:
>
> > In a blazingly lame effort to bring this back on-topic
>
> How is a post about recommended h/w for Linux OT? :-)
>
> One thing I forgot to mention:  RAID is good.  Whether you go for
> a hardware (well, software-assisted) ATA-RAID, or go the software
> RAID, route, buy two of whatever disk you choose and run RAID
> 1 (mirrored).  Red Hat (and some others, such as MDK, but not
> Debian)  will install to software RAID.

I second that.  With warranties becoming 1 year only for most ATA HDDs,
whatever the manufacturer says I still think the quality is going down.

Better be safe than sorry.  Mirror your data.

To change the topic a bit, what are people's recommendation on
filesystems?  ext2, ext3, reiserfs, xfs, or others?

Stephen