Re: [tlug] hardware

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 07:09:52PM +0700, Jonathan Q wrote:
> Stuff to avoid:
>
> - Any NIC with a Realtek chip (has a little crab logo on it; most budget
> cards these days use them, so look for one that doesn't).  Via Rhine is

Their recent 8100x chips are considerably better than the
8129/8139 that I suspect you are thinking of.  (But I'd also
rather have 3Com or intel NICs if the budget allows.)

> Not many people at not many shops know much about Linux.  People
> at Plathome (http://www.plathome.co.jp/> should, but on the other hand,

The other shop that I would recommend is User's Side
http://www.users-side.co.jp/
(They also have a small shop in Ebisu that offers English
language help.)

--
Jim Tittsler                                         GPG: 0x01159DB6
Kanto Computer Calendar  http://www.OnJapan.net/calendar/