Re: [tlug] linux, multimedia and experiences with them

And Thus Spake Keith Watanabe <keith.y.watanabe@example.com> (on Mon, 19 May
2003 20:54:48 +0900):

> Anyway, i'm curious about other people's experiences here regarding
> multimedia and linux as well as what hardware they've used and if they
> have any interesting stories to tell.

I must admit that I haven't got much multimedia-related stuff working on my
Linux box (Slackware 9.0) for 2 reasons:

1) I haven't found the need, and

2) My sound card is a SB 128 PCI (es1371), which sounds scatchy like a dirty
vinyl record both in Linux and Win2K, and good only in Win9x.

However, two recent acquisitions were a DVD drive and an ATI Rage128Pro with
a TV output.

I got Ogle working just about OK but the video was jerky (I put that down to
inadequate hardware) and the usual scratchy sound isn't very pleasant.

Plus I couldn't get "atitvout" to work correctly.

Had I known, I would have kept my Matrox MGA-G200 graphics adapter, which
gives a much better picture than this ATI crap. And since I don't care about
3D anyway...

Things got more interesting when I laid my grubby hands on a Hollywood+
MPEG2 decoder board. It uses the same Sigma Designs EM8300 DSP as the
Creative DXR3 card. I was able to get everything working by using the
modules available from http://dxr3.sourceforge.net and by compiling the
1.0beta version of xine-lib.

I now have better DVD playback in Linux than in Windoze :o)

I still don't care about the audio output from the POS sound card, because
the DXR3 has its own audio hardware... In fact I'm in half a mind to pull
the thing out because it's no more than a waste of power at the minute.

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com -- gstewart@example.com
Registered Linux user #284683