[tlug] linux, multimedia and experiences with them

hi!  recently, i've been futzing around with a box i just put together using redhat 9 and am tuning it for doing various multimedia applications.  so far i've been playing around with say xmms, freeamp, mplayer and xine.  freeamp was rather interesting the other night since all my mp3s were playing at a higher rate!  so ayumi hamasaki sounded like she was on more helium than the chipmunks!  anyway, tried looking up the homepage but for some reason it seems that some group (ultimate search???) is squatting on the domain freeamp.org.  shoganai as they say.  but it worked fine on my laptop.  probably the settings some place.  xmms has been decent so far once you reinstall the mp3 playback capability.  going to try mplayer next and see how well that works with the various file formats i've "acquired" over the years.  wanted to try mplayer with dvd's since my xine player seems rather jerky.  heard it was some tweak you need to use on the command line to turn on the dma settings a!
 s well as a few other optimizations.   unfortunately, because i went cheap and got a tiny box, turns out a few taller cards won't work with my system :(  was looking forward to trying my DV camera too with an IEEE1394 firewire card.

Anyway, i'm curious about other people's experiences here regarding multimedia and linux as well as what hardware they've used and if they have any interesting stories to tell.

--
Thanx!

-keith