RE: [tlug] BSD vs BSD vs Linux

Oh no, someone sees through me ... Friday afternoons can be sooooh boring

but it seems that only Gentlemen are online.  Thanks Jonathan for producing
such an excellent answer. It should be added to the FAQ section.

I am also tempted by both Gentoo and Debian, specially for the easy package
updates.  Upgrading Suse 8.1 KDE to 3.1 was a nightmare and did not work
very well at all! I also heard that BSD has a journaling file system built
in for some time?  Is it possible to run commercial products on BSD (Oracle,
DB2, Domino...).  Companies often like to standardize on a few platforms
which run on different hardware (pServer, mainframe, desktop), so the
platform needs to be able to run such applications.  Do you think that BSD
will lose out in the long term as the big companies concentrate their
efforts on linux?

I think some embedded devices also run BSD (the giveaway is the firewall
package).

Patrick