Re: [tlug] Big5 Vs. Unicode Vs. Netscape 4.x Vs. deadline

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 17:05, Jonathan Q wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 May 2003 00:42, Katsuhiko Momoi wrote:
>
> > http://wp.netscape.com/eng/intl/basics.html#setup
>
> This is a very useful page, thanks for the link, and thanks to
> everyone who replied.
>
> The problem is now pretty much resolved, except for one issue:
> When trying to do Chinese input in Netscape 4 (including
> Chinese version 4.51), input to fields in forms all come up as question
> marks, although everything else on the page is displayed correctly
> in Unicode.  The OS is English Windows XP, with East Asian language
> support and input methods for PRC, Taiwan, and Hong Kong installed.

>From what I understand reading from various XML lists and my own
experimentation this is why you don't use Unicode if you want it to work
in older versions of Netscape.  From what I gather the early versions of
Netscape are only localized(i.e. Big5) not internationalized (i.e.
Unicode).  If someone has worked out how to do it I would be very
interested to here but if the deadline is tomorrow I would not waste
time trying.  You will have much less problems if you filter your output
to Big5 after processing.

--
Edward Middleton <edwardmiddleton@example.com>