Re: [tlug] AVI player for Linux

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 03:43:22PM +1000, Jim Breen wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a player for Linux that can handle .avi files with
> "DIV3" coding.
>
> xanim has worked for me with .avi files until now, but with some clips I
> got recently it says:

Try Mplayer (http://www.mplayerhq.hu/) or Xine (http://xinehq.de/). Both
are quite mature now, though I tend to go with the former in most cases.
It is really fast and can make use of a number of different plugins,
including those of xanim, realmedia and even quicktime.

One thing I do have trouble with is newer .wmv files. The latest codecs
from those sites don't recognize them at all.

> Failing that, an avi to mpg converter would be good. The olde avi2mpg
> won't touch these.

If its Div3, then I doubt you can find a converter for it. I tried some
time back and failed miserably.

--
A. Sajjad Zaidi
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys D7AD0E13